As most pet owners know, many pets—cats and dogs alike—are drawn to plants. They nibble on stray leaves and graze on grass whenever they have the opportunity. But not all plants are safe for animals to eat. If you have any plants in or around your house, it’s imperative that you make sure they are not poisonous to your pet. If you believe that your pet has consumed any part of a questionable plant, contact the animal clinic immediately. Some of the most common household plants that can harm an animal include:
·Autumn crocus: The bulb of this attractive flower is extremely toxic to animals and usually results in vomiting and diarrhea if consumed. Ingestion can lead to liver and kidney damage.
·Oleander: The leaves and stems of this shrub, a staple of backyards in the Southwest, are highly toxic to dogs, cats, and even humans. Even a minor scratch from an oleander bush can be sufficient cause for an emergency call to the veterinarian.
·Azalea: This popular flowering shrub is also highly poisonous. Ingesting any part of an azalea can induce serious illness in a pet.
·Hyacinth: While the leaves and stems of these flowers are not toxic, hyacinth bulbs are extremely toxic to dogs and usually induce vomiting, diarrhea, and excessive drooling. Be wary of keeping hyacinths in a garden where their bulbs can be dug up easily by dogs.
·Lilies: These beautiful flowers are not believed to be toxic to dogs, but many types of lilies are extremely dangerous for cats. Even nibbling a small amount can result in severe kidney damage.
When you are looking for a dependable veterinarian in Richardson, Plano, or the surrounding communities, contact The Vet House. At our animal clinic, you can count on always receiving the highest quality animal care for your beloved pet. Call (972) 690-8741 to set up an appointment, or visit our website to learn more about our animal care services.